Mexican Breakfast Eggs
These deliciously spiced, baked eggs are topped with crushed avocado, sour cream and spring onions.Quick and easy to prepare yet loaded with flavour, this makes a great sharing brunch!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ small red chilli finely diced
- 300 g tinned (canned) tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 large avocado ripe, sliced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 large spring onion (green onion) finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro)
- chilli flakes to serve optional
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli and sweat until tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, cumin, ground coriander and oregano. Stir well to combine, simmering for a minute or two.
- Make four wells in the tomato sauce, cracking an egg into each. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook to preference.
- While the eggs are cooking, add the avocado to a small mixing bowl along with the lime juice. Season to taste and mash together to combine.
- Once the eggs are cooked, top with the avocado, sour cream, spring onions and fresh coriander. Optionally scatter over a few dried chilli flakes for extra heat!
Optional Chilli flakes to serve
Calories: 414kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 16gFat: 32gFiber: 10g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!