Low Carb Smoked Haddock Chowder
This smoked haddock low carb chowder has a rich and creamy broth packed with tender leeks and topped with crispy bacon crumbles. This makes for a warming lunch or dinner option, perfect served with keto flatbreads.
- 2 bacon rashers (strips)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 480 ml vegetable stock
- 2 small smoked haddock fillets roughly diced
- 1 ½ tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large leek sliced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 large celery stick diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ medium white onion diced
- 60 ml double cream (heavy cream)
- ½ tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan (skillet) over a medium/high heat. Add the bacon and cook until really crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish over a low/medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sweat gently until tender.
- Add the cream cheese and lemon zest. Stir well until the cheese has melted.
- Add the stock to the pan and stir well to combine. Increase the heat and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer for a few minutes to thicken and reduce a little.
- Add the sliced leeks and stir well to combine. Simmer for a minute or two until just tender.
- Add the diced haddock, season to taste and continue to simmer for a further 4-5 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked through.
- Add the cream and stir through.
- Crumble over the crispy bacon and scatter with the fresh chives to serve.
Calories: 509kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 44gFat: 32gFiber: 1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!