Low Carb Pork and Chorizo Meatballs
These Spanish inspired meatballs are baked in a rich, smokey tomato and chorizo sauce and topped with tangy manchego cheese. Perfect served alongside a green salad or with a portion of cauliflower rice.This is a great option for batch cooking as you can simply multiply the ingredient quantities as required and divide into individual portions for freezing.
- 300 g minced pork (ground pork)
- 50 g chorizo roughly diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic 1 minced, 1 sliced
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 85 g mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme
- 120 ml chicken stock
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- ¼ medium red onion finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), 180°C (350°F) for fan assisted.Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan (skillet) over a low/medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and rosemary and sweat until tender and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooling, add the mince to a mixing bowl with the paprika, a tablespoon of grated manchego, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooled vegetable mixture to the bowl and use your hands to combine the pork with the seasonings. Divide into 16 even meatballs.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the frying pan and add the meatballs, cooking until browned all over.
- Whilst you are cooking the meatballs, add the diced chorizo to a separate oven proof pan over a medium heat, cooking until fragrant and the chorizo has released its oils.
- Add the thyme, remaining garlic, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and stock. Mix well to combine and bring to a gentle boil. Add the meatballs to the pan. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the meatballs and scatter over the remaining cheese and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the meatballs are completely cooked through.
Calories: 802kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 56gFat: 60gFiber: 3g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!