Low Carb Five Spice Duck Salad
This aromatic duck is falling off the bone tender with a deliciously crispy skin. The duck legs are coated in five spice seasoning and ground coriander before oven baked to perfection and accompanied by a light and refreshing salad, topped with a drizzle of sesame lime dressing. To serve you can either shred the duck meat off the bone or serve the duck leg whole.
For the duck:
- 2 duck legs
- 1 tsp five spice
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp sea salt
For the salad:
- 70 g watercress
- 2 spring onions (green onions) finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ cucumber sliced into thin batons
- ¼ fennel (approx 235g) finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and set an oven rack over a roasting tin to catch the duck fat.
- Pierce the skin of the duck all over and sprinkle with the sea salt, coriander and five spice. Use your hands to rub the seasonings into the duck.
- Arrange the duck on the oven rack skin side up and roast for 1 hour 30 mins or until the skin is crisp and the meat is falling away from the bones.
- Whilst the duck is cooking you can prepare the salad.
- Add the watercress, cucumber, spring onions and fennel to a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, tamari and lime juice and set aside.
- Shortly before serving, finely slice the avocado and stir through the salad.
- To serve, shred (or keep whole) the duck leg and set on top of the salad. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and the duck and scatter over the sesame seeds and fresh coriander. Serve with wedges of lime.