Low Carb Chicken and Fennel Salad
This refreshing low carb chicken and fennel salad makes for a great summer lunch, light dinner, or meal prepping option.Crisp lettuce and fennel are combined with salty capers, zesty lemon, aromatic thyme, and crunchy walnuts, topped with pan-fried chicken.
- 250 g chicken breast cut into strips
- ½ iceberg lettuce sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1 ½ tbsp capers
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to season
- Whisk together the garlic, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Brush the garlic oil over the chicken fillets.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium/high heat and add the chicken strips. Cook for four minutes each side or until completely cooked through and golden brown all over.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking add the walnuts to a small dry pan over a low heat. Toast gently for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- To prepare the salad, add the fennel and lettuce to a large serving bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, mayonnaise and thyme until smooth.
- Spoon half the mayonnaise onto the fennel and lettuce and massage the dressing into the salad with your hands.
- Add the capers and lemon zest and toss well to combine.
- Top the salad with the cooked chicken pieces and crumble over the toasted walnuts.
- Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and serve with the remaining dressing.