Low Carb Chicken Biryani
This low carb chicken biryani is simple to prepare yet loaded with flavour from aromatic spices. Tasty as cold as it is hot, this is a great option for lunchtime leftovers!
- 4 large chicken thighs skinless, diced
- 4 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 400 g cauliflower rice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger grated
- 1 medium white onion finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 60 g natural yoghurt (yogurt)
- 1 large spring onion (green onion) finely slice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 g fresh coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a small pan over a low/medium heat and add the sliced onion. Cook the onion gently until translucent and the edges begin to crisp and caramelise. Set to one side.
- Whilst the onion is cooking, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, cooking until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan used for the chicken and reduce the heat. Add the grated ginger and the minced garlic cloves, sweating gently until tender and fragrant.
- Stir in the ground spices and cardamom pods, warming them through.
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir to coat in the spices.
- Add the stock and bring to a gentle boil then gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice and half the onions. Stir well to combine.
- Continue to simmer for a further 5-10 minutes allowing the rice to absorb all the stock and seasoning.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, add the yoghurt to a serving dish with the cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Stir through fresh coriander and top with the sliced scallions.
- Scatter the remaining onions and coriander over the biryani to serve.
Calories: 315kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 30gFat: 17gFiber: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!