Keto Beef and Spinach Lasagna
This low carb take on a classic lasagne is rich with layers of tender beef, a thick and creamy cheese sauce and thinly sliced aubergine in place of pasta sheets.This is perfect for families or batch cooking, providing multiple hearty portions!
- 600 g minced beef (ground beef)
- 260 g cream cheese
- 90 g baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 medium aubergine (eggplant)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 160 ml almond milk unsweetened
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 120 ml beef stock
- 45 g parmesan cheese grated
- 60 g mozzarella cheese grated
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat. Add the minced beef and cook until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and sweat until tender. Add the garlic and thyme, cooking until fragrant.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the Italian herbs, balsamic and tomato purée. Stir everything together well to combine.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced down.
- Whilst the beef is cooking you can prepare the cheese sauce. Add the cream cheese, almond milk and nutmeg to a small pan over a medium heat. Season to taste and bring to a gentle simmer until thick and creamy.
- Add half of the Parmesan and all of the mozzarella, stirring until melted into the sauce.
- Add the spinach, stirring through until just wilted then remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) or 160°C (325°F) for fan assisted.
- To create the ‘pasta’, peel the outer skin from the aubergine and discard. Peel the flesh into wide strips with a vegetable peeler and set aside.
- To assemble the lasagne, select an oven proof dish and layer the base with 1/3 of the beef mixture. Lay 1/3 of the aubergine strips over the top of the beef, then 1/3 of the cheese sauce over the aubergine. Repeat this for two more layers.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top of the lasagne and transfer to the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top.