Caribbean Keto Beef Stew
This keto beef stew recipe is an adaptation of a Caribbean pepper pot stew, with aromatic spices and a rich coconut-infused broth.This is a great option for batch cooking as portions can be divided and frozen for future meals. Perfect served with a portion of cauliflower rice.
- 500 g beef shin diced
- 400 g cauliflower rice
- 120 g baby spinach
- 600 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ red chilli pepper finely sliced
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan or casserole dish over a medium heat.
- Add the diced beef and cook until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chili to the pan and cook gently, sweating until tender.
- Add the tomato purée, allspice, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and thyme. Stir together well to combine and cook gently for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Return the beef and reduce to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- After 30 minutes, add 1 cup of coconut milk to the pan and stir well. Continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes until you have a thickened sauce.
- Just before the stew finishes cooking, melt the remaining coconut oil in a large pan over a low/medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower rice and season to taste. Cook the rice for 2-3 minutes until hot through.
- Add the remaining coconut milk and simmer until the liquid has reduced.
- Before serving, add the spinach to the stew and stir through until just wilted.
- Serve the stew with a portion of rice.
Calories: 454kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 39gFat: 28gFiber: 4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!