Bacon and Mushroom Baked Omelette
This Bacon and Mushroom omelette is baked in an oven dish providing perfectly cooked slices of rich and creamy omelette. The recipe is versatile in that you could adapt the ingredients if you wish to use other low carb veggies or fresh herbs. If you wish to make it dairy free you could simply add two more small eggs. Perfect served with a simple green salad or some buttered broccoli.
- 8 eggs
- 6 bacon rashers (strips) roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 60 g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), 180°C (350°F) for fan assisted, and line a small baking dish with baking paper.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Fry until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add the sliced mushrooms, cooking until tender.
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat and stir through the spinach until just wilted. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and parmesan together until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and chives.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the bowl with the cream cheese mixture and season generously. Beat together until smooth.
- Tip the cooled bacon and vegetable mixture into the beaten egg and cream cheese and stir together well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the lined oven tray and bake for 30 -33 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on top.